For the longest time I had a difficult relationship with my body. As a curvy woman I hated my body image. I went through gazillion exercise routines and diet fads, once only surviving on papayas and eggs for 2 months!
You could say my story is no different from any other women who have suffered from a toxic culture that teaches us to hate our bodies. You are always too fat, too short, or skinny or tall, the list is endless.
As per a research, a staggering 86% of women are unhappy with their bodies, while worldwide only 2% of the women say they’re beautiful.
So when I see the body positivity movement and scores of women advocating for acceptance of all body types it makes me proud of being a curvy woman who is secure in her body.
A positive body image can do wonders for your self-confidence and self-worth. The following post is a collection of 85 body positivity quotes to empower and love yourself.
I’m not claiming you’ll be body positive in one day, no it’s long process but whenever you find yourself battling negative body image use these body positivity quotes to uplift yourself.
85 Body Positivity Quotes to Empower Yourself
Table of Contents
- What Is Body Positivity?
- 30 Best Body Positivity Quotes on Body Acceptance
- 30 Top Body Positivity Quotes that Are Too Real
- 25 Inspiring Quotes on Positive Body Image
- 10 Body Acceptance Affirmations for Self-Love
- Use Body Positive Quotes to Battle Negative Body Image
What Is Body Positivity?
For decades the image of a certain body type being “perfect” has been reinforced so much into our minds through media and society that anything unconventional was automatically rejected.
The body positivity movement began in mid 60s to challenge society’s perception of fat people. But it has regained its vigor in the last decade and now body positivity is not just about fat acceptance. For more history on body positivity read this insightful article from Very Well Mind.
Body positivity can mean different things to different people but broadly the whole essence of body positivity is to:
1. Respect your bodies with the love and kindness it deserves.
2. Accept all body types and celebrate the so-called imperfections.
3. Feel secured and confident with your body.
4. Accept the changes in body as it grows older.
5. Stop obsessing about weight loss and focus on self-love.
30 Best Body Positivity Quotes on Body Acceptance
Here are 30 body positivity quotes to help accept your and other body types. Once you actually feel there’s nothing wrong with your body you’ll love yourself and view your body image positively.
1. So the question is which boulder are you going to roll? The ‘must lose weight boulder or the ‘fu*k you I will boldly, defiantly accept the body I’ve got and LIVE IN IT’ boulder’ – Kate Harding
2. You define beauty yourself. Society doesn’t define your beauty. — Lady Gaga
3. You are more than the number on that weighing scale.
4. All bodies are swimsuit bodies. ―Catherine Li
5. Fat is not an ugly word, it is a body type and it’s high time we accept it. – Oh Well Yes
6. Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good – Serena Williams
“Stop trying to fix your body. It was never broken.” Eve Ensler
“Confidence is the only key. I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.” — Emma Stone
“Your words have so much power. Every day, if you tell yourself ‘I love you,’ if you give yourself one word of validation, it will change your mind.”Ashley Graham
11. We all come in different shapes and sizes and you know what that’s okay! – Oh Well Yes
12. To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself heaven. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait, you die now. If you love, you live now.” —Alan Cohen
13. Spider veins and stretch marks streaking across your skin, your body is a galaxy – Nadine Tomlinson
14. Hating our bodies is something we learn and it is sure as hell is something we can unlearn. – Megan Jayne Crabbe
15. Stop spending all day obsessing, cursing, perfecting your body like it’s all you’ve got to offer the world. Your body is not your art, it’s your paintbrush. —Glennon Doyle
16. The perfect body type is a myth, just because you do not meet a conventional standard of beauty, whatever that means, doesn’t mean you aren’t beautiful, you are dynamite! – Oh Well Yes
My weight? It is what it is. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. It’s about being content. And sometimes other priorities win. – Melissa McCarthy
“YOU ARE WANTED. Big, small, tall, short, pretty, plain, friendly, shy. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, not even yourself. Especially yourself.” ―Jennifer Niven
“And I said to my body softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.’Nayyirah Waheed
21. Your uniqueness is your superpower. – Oh Well Yes
22. Being a healthy woman isn’t about getting on a scale or measuring your waistline. We need to start focusing on what matters — on how we feel, and how we feel about ourselves. —Michelle Obama
23. I’ve made peace with the fact that the things that I thought were weaknesses or flaws were just me. I like them. —Sandra Bullock
24. Lines can be the etchings of your biggest smiles, the frowns you learned from, the proof that you change and grow. – Eleanor Gordon-Smith
25. You have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens. —Louise Hay
“If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?” –Tina Fey
“People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.” — Salma Hayek
26. To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself heaven. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait, you die now. If you love, you live now. —Alan Cohen
27. Feeling confident, being comfortable in your skin—that’s what really makes you beautiful. — Bobbi Brown
28. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see. —Gabourey Sidibe
29. Feeling beautiful has nothing to do with what you look like. — Emma Watson
30. The most attractive thing about you should have less to do with your face or body and more to do with your attitude and how you treat people. ― Germany Kent
30 Top Body Positivity Quotes that Are Too Real
1. Don’t waste so much time thinking about how much you weigh. There is no more mind-numbing, boring, idiotic, self-destructive diversion from the fun of living. —Meryl Streep
2. Everybody has a part of her body that she doesn’t like, but I’ve stopped complaining about mine because I don’t want to critique nature’s handiwork … My job is simply to allow the light to shine out of the masterpiece. —Alfre Woodard
3. The most powerful thing anyone can say to us is what we say to ourselves. – Christine D’Ercole
4. Each individual woman’s body demands to be accepted on its own terms. —Gloria Steinem
You can’t live a full life on an empty stomach.Unknown
7. My body is not yours to critique and discuss. My body is not yours for consumption. My body is my vessel. An archive of experiences. A weapon that has fought battles only I understand. A library of love, pain, struggle, victory, and mystery. —Sophie Lewis
8. I wish I could tell my younger self that she was always more than a body. She always had more to offer the world than weight loss and flat abs. So much more. —Megan Jayne Crabbe
“Our bodies cannot truly be hidden, no matter how many black outfits we wear. No matter how many pairs of Spanx we own. No matter how much we suck it in. Doesn’t it seem like a better use of our time to just accept the fact that our bodies are our bodies and live our lives like there is no tomorrow?”Jes Baker
The reality was my life wasn’t miserable because I was curvy; I was miserable because I thought I’d be happier if I were thinner.” – Brittany Gibbons
11. Weight loss does not make people happy. Or peaceful. Being thin does not address the emptiness that has no shape or weight or name. Even a wildly successful diet is a colossal failure because inside the new body is the same sinking heart. — Geneen Roth
12. I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that. – Lauren Bacall
13. Life is so much more beautiful and complex than a number on a scale. —Tess Munster
14. I don’t want to wait until I’m 73 to embrace my body. To look back and think of my beauty: How did I miss it? Let’s not wait another moment. – Ashley Asti
15. To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.- Ralph Waldo Emerson
16. Treat your body like an instrument, not an ornament. – Gary Thomas
17. Your self-esteem won’t come from body parts. You need to step away from the mirror every once in a while, and look for another reflection, like the one in the eyes of the people who love you and admire you. – Stacy London
18. Your body is the piece of the universe you’ve been given, the place where love and joy and grief happen, where happiness unfolds. Do you really want to keep believing that it’s a horrible, ugly, lumpy thing? – Geneen Roth
I love creating shapes with my body, and I love normalizing the dimples in my butt or the lumps in my thighs or my back fat or my stretch marks. I love normalizing my Black-ass elbows. I think it’s beautiful.Lizzo
“Take your time and your talent and figure out what you have to contribute to this world, and get over what the hell your butt looks like in those jeans!” —America Ferrara
There is nothing more boring and fruitless than a woman lamenting the fact her stomach is round.” —Cheryl Strayed
23. Your body. Your diet. Your life. It isn’t perfect. It never will be. But it’s real. It’s honest. It’s beautifully flawed. And totally magical. – Nicola Jane Hobbs
24. I love my curves, tattoos, imperfections and jiggly thighs. No one said you had to. – via Pinterest
25. I’m not ashamed of how I look. I love myself. I feel sorry for all the guys who missed out on a good girl because of what society thinks is beautiful.” – Quote via Pinterest
26. Sexy is not a size, every calorie is not a war, your body is not a battleground, your value is not measured in pounds, You are just as fucking beautiful as any other woman – via Pinterest
27. Reality is I’m fat. It’s a word, it’s an adjective and I don’t care. – via Pinterest
28. Apologize to your body maybe that’s where the healing begins. – Unknown
29. You do not need to play small for the comfort of others – Unknown
25 Inspiring Quotes on Positive Body Image
1. To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. —Thich Nhat Hanh
2. The more I like me, the less I want to pretend to be other people. —Jamie Lee Curtis
3. We can’t hate ourselves into a version of ourselves we can love. —Lori Deschene
“I think about my body as a tool to do the stuff I need to do, but not the be all and end all of my existence.” —Lena Dunham
“Do not apologize for your sacred body. All of you is holy.” ―Ashley Asti
7. If you focus on the inside, you’ll feel just as great about the outside. I feel attractive when I’m doing good and helping people. —Keke Palmer
8. You can’t hate yourself happy. You can’t criticize yourself thin. You can’t shame yourself worthy. Real change begins with self-love and self-care. —Jessica Ortner
9. Worthiness does not have prerequisites.” —Brené Brown
10. Chic is when a woman is in harmony with herself.” —Giambattista Valli
11. Sometimes when I’m having bad body image issue days, I remind myself that I’d rather live in freedom from my eating disorder than worry. Demi Lovato
12. Your body loves you love it back – via Pinterest
13. Treat your body like it belongs to someone you love. via Pinterest
In a society that profits from yourself doubt liking yourself is a rebellious act – via Pinterest
Love your body because you only have one – Unknown
This is who I’m and look at me at not being perfect. I am proud of that – Kate Winslet
17. I thank my body for loving me even in moments when I hated it. – Oh Well Yes
18. I refuse to sacrifice my mental peace for the perfect body. – Demi Lovato
19. You do not need to be small for the comfort of other humans – via Pinterest
20. Losing weight does not cure negative body image.
21. Your body is a temple and you are its goddess
22. Your worth has nothing to do with your weight.
23. Tell your body how much you love it until it becomes a routine like brushing your teeth.
24 Beautiful isn’t a size – Unknown
25. Stop looking in the mirror for your self-worth it’s not there – Unknown
10 Body Acceptance Affirmations for Self-Love
I am becoming a woman comfortable in her own skin.
My body is one of its kind and it feels awesome.
I release all judgments towards my body.
I love my body for every amazing thing it can do.
I accept the changes in my body as it grows.
My body is rooted in love.
I choose to be kind to my body and treat it with respect.
My potential is unlimited undefined by my weight.
My body is beautiful the way it is.
I release all external expectations and validations of how my body should be.
Use Body Positive Quotes to Battle Negative Body Image
If you are struggling with your body image keep these body positivity quotes and affirmations at all places where you can view them easily. Some of those places would be.
– A vision board
– A desktop or phone wallpaper
– On your wardrobe and bathroom door
– Sticky notes on your fridge and mirror
– Write in your journal
– Share as a social media post