“Your Habits Make You Who You Are”
Your habits make your personality or in other words, your habits are most effective in describing you as a person.
If you are a big believer in chasing your dreams, setting some-goals you have to pay attention to your habits.
There simply has to be synchronization between your habits and your goals.
Just a few years ago I was so aimless and overwhelmed. Sure I had a fancy job, a good life, friends and family but deep inside I knew I had to start my own venture.
I also knew I had to change my lifestyle drastically and get rid of a bunch of unhealthy habits that had become my second nature like not eating properly, not having a proper sleep routine, procrastinating on work etc.
It was not easy and I am in no way perfect. But I have certainly changed myself from where I since a couple of years ago and I feel a lot better today.
If you too have a similar story and feel stuck in your routine but want to change your life, I would suggest start with altering your daily habits.
I know developing a new habit requires some effort but it is totally possible and worth it when you see your life changing for better.
To help you out I have an extensive list of 91 good habits you can choose from, so let’s get setting some life-changing habits.
Tips on Forming New Habits
Before getting started I would really request you to go through my habit formation post mentioned above it would give you a good idea on how to go about adapting to new habits. Also below mentioned are some pointers you may find really useful.
Stick to it for 66 days
Research says it requires 21 days for a new habit to set in and 66 days for your body and brain to fully adapt to it.
This may seem daunting for many but my dear friend if you can just get past the first week till 21 days you are much likely to see it through the end.
Focus on one habit at a time
When you start a habit with the intention of changing your life you don’t notice the transformation in one day it happens very gradually.
If you may want to start a bunch of healthy habits at one go it may be counter-productive, so focus on one good habit at one time.
Start a habit from the 1st of a month or start of a week because then you are more likely to pursue it.
Research also shows that our energy levels and optimism is really high at the beginning of any week, month or year. So if you really wish to change your life with some good habit this is perfect time.
Note your progress
Tracking your progress really keep you motivated. Use a habit tracker or a planner to record how much you have achieve or what are the gradual changes you see in your life.
So now dive straight into the post and pick up some good habits to and start your process to become better.
Healthy Life Changing Habits
1. Don’t skip breakfast, it helps to regulate your sugar levels since you are almost on an empty stomach since the previous night.
2. Stretch your limbs upper and lower body 4 times a day, it helps in blood-circulation.
3. Quit being a couch potato and do some physical activity for at least 45 minutes a day. Like exercising, walking or jogging.
4. Eat one healthy meal in a day. By consuming one healthy meal like a salad or a vegetable soup you’ll be preventing digestion issues, as well as take care of your gut.
5. Get a health check-up one every 6 months or at least once a year.
6. Visit your dentist at least once a year.
7. Quit smoking.
8. Limit eating processed food.
9. Don’t drink excessively.
10. Brush twice a day.
11. Don’t overeat, eat when you are hungry. Similarly don’t suppress your hunger and skip meals.
12. Take stairs instead of elevator, at least every alternate day.
13. Have a fixed time for sleeping and waking up. Have a consistent schedule when it comes to sleeping at night and waking up in the morning.
Habits for Better Mental Health
14. Eat mindfully away from your TV and without scrolling the mobile phone.
15. Indulge in some weekly self-care – Self care or in other words taking care of yourself is so important with all the daily grind we go through.
16. Meditate for 7-10 minutes daily where you just concentrate on your breathing.
17. Take deep breaths at least thrice a day it will help your focus and concentration as well as remove any brain fog. This is also a good tip if you suffer from anxiety.
18. Start a thought journal to untangle your mind.
19. Walk amidst nature once a week.
20. Indulge in aromatherapy once in awhile to manage stress.
21. Pamper yourself and lift your mood with essential oils when bathing.
22. Learn to Laugh/smile more often.
23. Start journaling for better mental clarity.
24. If you live with your family try to have one meal together. Also plan some get-togethers with your friends and close ones every few months.
25. Use anti-distraction apps to prevent mindless scrolling on internet that hampers your work and productivity.
26. Listen to some soothing music at the end of the day.
27. Compliment yourself regularly.
28. Dance like no one is watching and sing your heart out.
29. Encourage yourself by practicing self-affirmations.
30. Listen to some podcasts and audio books when you are commuting to office.
31. Do a life audit where you reflect on your progress and where you can improve.
32. Practice some random act of kindness every now and then.
33. Practice saying thank you and please more often.
34. Practice gratitude where you are grateful for everything in your life.
35. Adopt a pet.
36. Plant some trees.
37. Pick up a hobby.
38. Learn a life-skill.
39. Learn a new language
40. Travel atleast once a year and plan for it early.
41. Try to see positive in any adverse situation.
42. Work on your confidence and will-power.
43. Try to enjoy the present moment each day.
44. Make your bed in the morning – Your bed is the most noticeable object in your room and if it’s kept neat and organized your mood too lifts. It shows you are ready for the day.
45. Throw out your expired medicines at once every six months.
46. Declutter unnecessary stuff at your home and work-space least once a year that also includes your wardrobe with outfits you haven’t worn in 2 years at least.
47. Organize your home and work-space with the labeling system, and review it at least once a year.
48. Stay hydrated by drinking enough water.
49. Develop an evening routine where you plan for the next day and unwind for the day.
50. Plan your outfits at the start of the week to avoid morning hassles.
51. Start weekly meal-planning, you’ll save so much time.
52. Do your dishes after having your food.
53. Clean your kitchen, even when you don’t want to.
54. Have designated day(s) for doing your laundry.
55. If it’s not possible weekly, clear your fridge at least twice a month. Same goes for your microwave, oven and other kitchen gadgets that need regular cleaning
56. Clean your handbag/office bad at least once a month.
57. Clear makeup brushes regularly.
58. Have a weekly dusting/cleaning routine.
59. Use the batching technique for completing similar tasks.
60. Beat procrastination by using planners and making to-do lists.
61. Make it a point to note down any interesting ideas you may have.
62. Make a list of all important dates like birthday and anniversaries.
63. Change your passwords once a year.
64. Organize your phone and computer at least once every six months.
65. Develop a weekly skin and hair-care routine.
66. Take care of your cuticles, indulge in some manicure and pedicure.
67. Make a habit to return calls and messages you couldn’t attend to.
68. Have a designated time where you check and answer your mails.
69. Don’t waste electricity, turn off lights, fans, AC when you leave a room.
70. Set some goals for yourself every year/month and track those.
71. Make a vision board for your life goals.
72. Make it a habit to plan ahead to ensure your time is not wasted.
73. Plan your day. It takes less than 5 minutes to write a to-do list, you can do it first thing in the morning or the previous evening. It would help you remain organized as well as keep you from procrastinating on important tasks.
74. Plan your entire week on Sundays. At least make a rough outline.
75. Read books regularly – Books widen our horizon on many things as well as provide some escape from the daily stress.
76. Learn to listen attentively.
77. Work on your communication skills.
78. Meet new people, make some new friends.
79. Avoid using your phone atleast an hour before bedtime.
80. Read food labels when you buy processed food items.
81. Don’t waste food and water
82. If you have leftover food from a party or get together please donate it. There are so many local social organisations which take food and distribute it among the needy.
83. Pay attention to your posture when you sit and walk.
84. Stop people pleasing and learn to say “NO”.
Better Financial Habits
85. Make a monthly budget of your expenses and a monthly goal of saving each month.
86. Start saving your leftover cash in a piggy bank and invest it at the end of the year.
87. Create an emergency fund today.
88. Start plan for your retirement today.
89. Pay your taxes on time.
90. Use your credit/debit sensibly.
91. Make a shopping list whenever you plan some shopping spree, a list helps you to stop going overboard.
We all have dreams and ambitions to achieve for that we need to set some goals and your goals can’t be realized without your habits.
Any habit that helps your physical, mental and emotional well-being is worth having. As per research over 40 percent of your actions during the day depend on your habits. Choose your habits wisely to transform your life.
If you liked this post please do leave your thoughts below always happy to know your thoughts.